Weight progress ticker

Tuesday 28 June 2011

Do I need a change?

I had another bad weekend last weekend. My legs were really sluggish on Friday so I decided not to run, I then had 3 days in a row of drinking which is both unusual and REALLY bad. Because of my drinking on Saturday - I therefore also decided not to run on Sunday as I wasn't feeling too good. I really need to get back on it today!

I've been thinking a lot about my training program in the past few days. It's becoming a bit mundane with the LONG runs during the week, I don't mind if it's a long run at the weekend because I have more spare time. My local football team start pre-season training next Tuesday so I may substitute one of the runs for a Tuesday training session. I may also start playing Badminton on a Wednesday with my good friend Eddie as a substitute for another run.

I figure if I run 2-3 times a week instead of 4 it would be a LOT more interesting as long as I do something in it's place. I also think it would be good to mix the training up, fartlek and more stop-start exercise will help my muscles become more explosive.

Another thought I have had - is to try and incorporate some weights in to my weekly schedule. I've lost a fair bit of weight - not enough in my opinion but I already feel like I could do with 'toning'.

I think I will do this week as normal and then re-evaluate. What do you guys think? I still think 2-3 runs per week would allow me to increase my mileage sufficiently to complete the marathon. Hopefully mixing my training up will allow me to run faster miles as well.

All the best

Erik

6 comments:

  1. Kettlebells!! They won't rock your socks off but they will do a good job on everything else

    ReplyDelete
  2. YouTube it. Search for kettlebell swing and squat. Those are the best for runners.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh I have a Love/Hate relationhip with Kettlebells....

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think thats the risk with giving yourself a strong fitness plan and such a long one at that, you have a good chance of fatigue and over working yourself.

    As long as you do something i wouldn't continue to push yourself really hard for a year of training. I don't have much experience but as long as you keep it varied (like the most recent post) you should be fine. I've started running 3 times a week, swimming 3 times and then circuit training.

    I would urge you to do your fast runs on a tread mill, even though its boring, shorter runs tend to be faster and increase your risk of injury like the other guys have said. Also when i did my short runs (not fast) i would use 1.5kg weights in each hand. That would keep my heart pumping like fuck without having to run fast or increase pressure on my joints. 3 miles in 25 mins with weights and you will definitely feel it. That took me a couple months till i was able to run the whole way with the arms held to my chest and not letting them drop towards my hips half way around! Thats what i did every monday after my long run to not tempt me from running too hard.

    ReplyDelete